For the last 17 years Focal Point has been the social media ...

Manoj Chaurasia

For the last 17 years Focal Point has been the social media forum for Information Builders and it was officially retired on December 1, 2020 so we can now all use myibi the next generation of social media! For the last 4 years I have been the moderator of Focal Point and I am very excited to do the same for myibi, it is a huge improvement in social media. During the 17 years of Focal Points existence there were 28.097 discussion topics created with over 170,000 responses by the 10,800 members of Focal Point to those topics. There is a wealth of information still available to anyone who wants to search this repository. You can use this URL to access Focal Point and use the Search menu option. http://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums There is no need to sign-in just use the search opion

image.jpg1412660 208 KB

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Focal Point is still a valuable resource. Many people in the user community spent a lot of time and effort posting answers.

To just take it away shows either arrogance or indifference to the WebFOCUS developer community. It makes us wonder if this is an indication of the kind of care for the developer community that is to be expected going forward.

I often go back to old Focal Point conversations. The documentation in there has been very helpful for me and others on our team. I had a Focal Point page bookmarked from a few days ago so that I could come back to it today, and now I see that it was taken down. That page had valuable info for reporting purposes. I would really like to see everything from Focal Point brought into myIBI if possible.

I reference Focal Point on a weekly basis as myIBI content is still in the infant stages when it comes to the more intermediate uses of defines, computes, and other uses. This is going to be a big blow to our company as we heavily lean on the sage wisdom that was poured into Focal Point over all of these years. I would understand removing it if it wasnt relevant but the majority of the content over there is still pertinent for those who need to do more than the easy stuff. There is still a long way for WebFOCUS to go in surfacing functionality to think about the possibility of implying that the knowledge of Focal Point is baked into the tooling.

This is nothing against what is being done here in myIBI as this is a great future facing forum but the past is as relevant today as ever and must be maintained. So thankful for this community and the ability to help each other.

FocalPoint was our go to resource for the difficult questions we could not uncover/decode via the manuals and other resources. We would love to see it in a modern KB format or if that is not possible in any form that is searchable on the site. Without it many of the harder problems will go to support and tie up all the support staff making all users experiences worse.

Hi Chuck,

the focal point forum was an essential source of information for me.

This information is going beyond the content of the standard documentation.

Please find a way to integrate this treasure of information in myibi.

Generally I cant understand that there is no solution / alternative available since the announcment to retire the Focal Point Forum and that there will be an alternative was already in December 2020.

Im really disapointed about this approach.

Regards from Germany

Michael

Focal Point is the single most effective online resource for ALL of your developers in the outside world. It is the go-to place for the esoteric information that isnt covered (or covered well enough) in the online user manuals. It is the place where you can see concrete examples of code that uses WebFOCUS (and Data Migrators) byzantine function calls. This is a huge loss for the community.

This is the Go-To for WebFOCUS programmers, available at about zero cost to IBI/Tibco. At a time when WFs market share is being encroached on by competitors, this is one more nail in the coffin, one more reason to make the switch to another toolset. I justify the cost of WF/I-Way every year at my current client. That just became harder.

Frankly, its saved me from opening probably about 100 tickets over the last 25 years. Removing this resource is going to cost Tibco dearly.

FP is a gold mine. (specially for beginners users)

I use it frequently even if Im an expert user.

The fact that FP was taken down without warning is unprofessional for me.

I would even say that it is a lack of respect towards the WF users community.

They should have maintained FP until it was switched to Myibi or some other place.

And now, what do we do

I suspect that this treasure will not be available for a long time.

Even worse, it wont probably be not available anymore.

Big lost.

I am feeling quite lost the last few weeks without Focal Point. My company acquired a business that uses WebFocus. We are bringing over all of their reports and trying to replicate them into our system. Imagine converting a 20 year old system to the latest version. Of course, some things dont work. But more frustrating is that Im getting errors or see commands that Ive not used before. My life would be so much easier if I could search for these on Focal Point and at least get a starting point of how people have used these in the past or more information and solutions to these errors. How frustrating that Focal Point was removed like this. Those of us that use WebFocus have always bragged up how amazing the forums are. I have wasted so many hours the last few weeks searching through manuals with little to no luck.

I really hope some kind of resolution is come to very soon about how to get to that information. Such a wealth of knowledge to just be thrown away!