We have been having issues with our DEV vs TEST/PROD forever...

robert fuschetto

We have been having issues with our DEV vs TEST/PROD forever. Our IS dept continues to investigate why our DEV environment is so FAST whereas TEST and PROD so SLOW.

We have noticed something though that seems to be an issue across all platforms. We have a longer running dashboard. It hits quite a few rows Most times in DEV it fully opens in 44s. In TEST/PROD 2m is average. Now early mornings these times could be longer due to network traffic I suppose.

HOWEVER, we notice the FIRST time we run the dashboard during the day regardless of the time, run times are about double. I have been tracking this for days now.

Example: I first run the dashboard at 10am in PROD. It runs almost 4 minutes. I immediately run it again and it runs in 2 minutes. I close IE completely and go back instill 2 minutes. I reboot and rerunstill 2 minutes. However, the next day, the FIRST time it is runalmost 4 minutes. Yes I have switched up the FIRST run timenot always at 10am. I have been following this pattern all week.

Any idea why this happens

robertf:

However, the next day, the FIRST time it is runalmost 4 minutes

Something to look at or considerassuming you are running against a relational db.

Take WebFOCUS out of the picture. Run your base query directly in your databases IDE (i.e., SSMS if you are on MSSQL) first thing in the morning. Then run it later.

[if you havent yet, run your WF report with tracing on, to obtain the SQL SELECT.]

Perhaps you will see the same scenario

If so, then your database might be doing some type of caching for you.