App Studio - Unspecified Error Upon Attempting to Close

David Briars

Normally I will see the dialog box 'Do you want to save the changes to the file x?', when I go to close an Edit Text canvas that I have updated, but not yet saved:  

image.png.ec769e8a046405aa03f53add8825dd2c.png

After using App Studio 'for a while' I will see an 'Unspecified error' OK Box, when I go to close an Edit Text canvas that I have made changes to:

image.png.1f943b3cdeef0eeef4d03f9fd87da5ff.png

This rogue OK Box forces me to quit App Studio, or click undo, if I do not want to save a fex that I might have updated.  

We are on v8207 of App Studio.  

This doesn't only happen to me, it happens to others at my site. 

Any assistance gratefully accepted.

@David Briars 3 -  this could be caused by a timeout of your session - if error occurs - can you try to run any report and see what happens?

In addition you can try to use the AppStudio Trace tool to debug - https://docs.tibco.com/appstudio/8207/doc/html/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibi.help.apps%2Fsource%2Ftroubleshooting88.htm 

Please open a case with support.tibco.com 

Thanks for your thoughts Patrick.  

It does feel like a timeout issue.  

However, where or how the timeout is occurring isn't clear.  🤔

I did try running another report while in 'Unspecified Error' mode, but that did not alleviate the rogue OK box.  

A little hard to say precisely what the timeout period is, if only cause I haven't set a timer yet, but I would say '2 hours' is a very reasonable guestimate of what I am experiencing.  

Is the default timeout of 2 hours something I can change?

Thanks for your thoughts Patrick.    

Posted (edited)

Thanks Martin.  Yes, I wasn't sure how/if a Portal Setting like Session Timeout would effect an App Studio user either. 

Maybe Patrick can clarify?  

Yes, I had dropped the App Studio 'Ping Interval' setting from the default of 5 to 1 previously. 

And even with this change I still obtained the rogue 'Unspecified Error' message in place of the 'Do you want to save the changes...' message, about two hours into my App Studio session.  

Edited by David Briars

1 hour ago, David Briars said:

Thanks Martin.  Yes, I wasn't sure how/if a Portal Setting like Session Timeout would effect an App Studio user either. 

Maybe Patrick can clarify?  

AppStudio is using the same way to communicate with WebFOCUS than the regular browser - and portal setting might be misleading - it#s any session that uses the portal/hub logon.