Hello. I have a program that uses parameters. After the up...

Tracie Jones

Hello. I have a program that uses parameters. After the upgrade I cannon run the report without populating all parameters. I get a pop up message saying. This is a required field. You must enter data. Before the upgrade I could run the report without the parameters. How can I get this functionality back. I even went back to the old version to see if remembered incorrectly. I was right, it ran fine without the required parameter message. Thank you!

In WF8 world, -DEFAULT does not prevent you to be prompted to provide a selection where -DEFAULTH does and you will not have any prompt.

As stated by Bill, you must also check the auto prompt settings from the Admin Console.

But pay attention that changing them will affect all reports.

Maybe you just need to change from -DEFAULT to -DEFAULTH

But I dont know the situation and the code you need to have to work.

Hi Tracie

How about we start with knowing how your prompting is set up

Look in the WF admin console from the client and find Configuration/Parameter Prompting. This is what that looks like:

image.png1482586 67.1 KB

Lets see how you have these settings set. You can also hit the little blue mark next to any parameter to pull up the help page. Ill add the contents of that to the end of this note.

Then, if you can make a really short example of what your focexec looks like, we might be able to tell more.

Heres what the Help page shows if you hit the blue mark. Ill end with this info:

Reference: Parameter Prompting Settings

Parameter Prompting settings determine parameter prompting behavior in the WebFOCUS Client.

Managed Reporting (IBIMR_PROMPTING)

Enables or disables parameter prompting for all Managed Reporting requests. Possible values are:

Off. Turns off parameter prompting at the site level.

Run with Default Values (XMLRUN). Prompts for amper variables that were created with the -DEFAULT command and any other amper variable that does not have a value.

Always Prompt (XMLPROMPT). Prompts for amper variables that were created with the -DEFAULT command when there is another amper variable that does not have a value assigned. This is the default value.

Managed Reporting when Prompt Parameters Property Unset (IBIMR_PROMPTINGUNSET)

Enables or disables parameter prompting for Managed Reporting procedures (FEXes) when Managed Reporting (IBIMR_PROMPTING) is set to Always Prompt (XMLPROMPT) or Run with Default Values (XMLRUN), and the Prompt for Parameters check box is unselected in the FEX Properties dialog box. Possible values are:

Off. Turns off parameter prompting.

Run with Default Values (XMLRUN). Prompts for amper variables that were created with the -DEFAULT command and any other amper variable that does not have a value. This is the default value.

Always Prompt (XMLPROMPT). Prompts for amper variables that were created with the -DEFAULT command when there is another amper variable that does not have a value assigned.

Self Service (IBI_WFDESCRIBE_DEFAULT)

Enables or disables amper auto prompting for self-service reporting. Possible values are:

Off. Turns off auto prompting. This is the default value.

Run with Default Values (XMLRUN). Prompts for amper variables that were created with the -DEFAULT command and for any other amper variable that does not have a value.

Always Prompt (XMLPROMPT). Only prompts for amper variables that were created with the -DEFAULT command when there is another amper variable that does not have a value assigned and, therefore, will be prompted for.

Display XML (Debug with syntax error checking) (XML). Displays the XML document describing the amper variables in the browser. This setting is used internally, and is recommended for debugging and syntax error checking purposes only.

Display XML (Debug) (XMLCHECK). Displays the XML document describing the amper variables in the browser. This setting is used internally, and is recommended for debugging purposes only.

Note: Managed Reporting uses a separate variable setting, which is IBIMR_PROMPTING.

I did not write this code, that is why I was hesitant to send it. I inherited it from the last developer. Here is a snippet. This is with the addition of the DEFAULT &EARN1 = ;

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

SET XRETRIEVAL=ON

SET ASNAMES=ON

-SET &progname = HGAWLRHR_v6;

-INCLUDE /CommonRoutines/campus.fex

-DEFAULT &PY = 0;

--INCLUDE /CommonRoutines/vPY.fex

-PROMPT &PY.(<0,0>,<2010,2010>,<2011,2011>,<2012,2012>,<2013,2013>,<2014,2014>,<2015,2015>,<2016,2016>,<2017,2017>,<2018,2018>,<2019,2019>,<2020,2020>,<2021,2021>,<2022,2022>,<2023,2023>,<2024,2024>,<2025,2025>,<2026,2026>,<2027,2027>,<2028,2028>).Select Leave Year

--INCLUDE /CommonRoutines/vPERIOD.fex

-DEFAULT &PERIOD = 0;

-PROMPT &PERIOD.(<0,0>,<01,01>,<02,02>,<03,03>,<04,04>,<05,05>,<06,06>,<07,07>,<08,08>,<09,09>,<10,10>,<11,11>,<12,12>,<13,13>,<14,14>,<15,15>,<16,16>,<17,17>,<18,18>,<19,19>,<20,20>,<21,21>,<22,22>,<23,23>,<24,24>,<25,25>,<26,26>,<27,27>).Select Leave Period.

-*-INCLUDE /CommonRoutines/vPAYID.fex

-PROMPT &PAYID.(<MN,MN>,<BW,BW>,<SB,SB>,<L4,L4>).Select PayID.

-IF &PY EQ 0 THEN GOTO GET_DATES ELSE GET_YEAR;

-GET_YEAR

-SET PMONTH = &PERIOD;

-TYPE &PY

-TYPE &PERIOD

-TYPE &PAYID

-* Following INCLUDE code for Common Routines to Prompt user for Payroll Year and Period

-GET_DATES

-DEFAULT &BEGIN_DTE = 0;

-PROMPT &BEGIN_DTE.I8.Begin Date (YYYYMMDD).

-DEFAULT &END_DTE = 0;

-PROMPT &END_DTE.I8.End Date (YYYYMMDD).

-* if end date is o set it to begin date

-SET &END_DTE =IF &PY EQ 0 AND &END_DTE EQ 0 THEN &BEGIN_DTE ELSE &END_DTE;

-SET &FDATE = AYMD(&END_DTE, 1, I8);

-SET &BEGDISPLAY = EDIT(&BEGIN_DTE,$$$$99/99/)|EDIT(&BEGIN_DTE,9999$$$$);

-SET &ENDDISPLAY = EDIT(&END_DTE,$$$$99/99/)|EDIT(&END_DTE,9999$$$$);

-SET &BEGYEAR = EDIT(&BEGIN_DTE,9999$$$$);

-SET &BEGPERIOD = EDIT(&BEGIN_DTE,$$$$99);

-SET &ENDYEAR = EDIT(&END_DTE,9999$$$$);

-SET &ENDPERIOD = EDIT(&END_DTE,$$$$99);

-TYPE &BEGIN_DTE

-TYPE &END_DTE

-GET_EARNINGS

-SET &EARN_WHERE = ';

-DEFAULT &EARN1 =;

-DEFAULT &EARN2 =;

-DEFAULT &EARN3 =;

-DEFAULT &EARN4 =;

-PROMPT &EARN1.1st Earnings Code.

-PROMPT &EARN2.2nd Earnings Code.

-PROMPT &EARN3.3rd Earnings Code.

-PROMPT &EARN4.4th Earnings Code.

-RUN

Right David LOL. It is solved. I thought maybe the others wanted to help me with the bigger picture. I have already had to change 2 reports. There are about 75 reports though. So if the setting can eliminate me from changing all the reports and submitting new versions, then I would love to figure out which setting I need.

I see in your screen image of the Administration Console that the Default Autoprompt Template has been set to HTML Top. On a previous migration from 7.x to 8.1.x that I was involved with, that Default Autoprompt Template = HTML Top setting is how we dealt with the issue of parameter value entry needing to remain optional. Now it looks like things have changed such that you can still get the old Autoprompt, but not the old behavior.

I dont know they would change this, may be a bug.

• 6 months later...