Getting errors trying to write Compound Documents to file

Debra Waybright
Go to solution Solved by Debra Waybright,

I'm trying to set up a process to generate a compound document for a list of agencies but I'm getting errors from the compound document piece. I found this Focal Point post: http://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1207095086 which helped but it still isn't quite working. If my loop is for just one agency it will work, but if I try for more, I get "request terminated" "hard kill" error. 😢

The compound document is a basic report plus a graph on one page for each policy. I'm running in 8207. We're getting ready to upgrade to 91 but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Yes. Here's the basic code:

TABLE FILE SQLOUT

PRINT AGENCY_NUMBER

ON TABLE SAVE AS MYOUT FORMAT ALPHA

END

-IF &LINES LE 0 GOTO NO_RPT;

-RUN

-SET &LOOPS = &LINES;

-TYPE &LOOPS;

-REPEAT END_REPEAT &LOOPS TIMES

-READ MYOUT,NOCLOSE &AGENCY_NUMBER.A4

-SET &NAME1 = &AGENCY_NUMBER || &FILE_NAME.EVAL;

-SET &NAME3 = &NETWORK_LOCATION || &NAME1;

FILEDEF &NAME1 DISK &NAME3

EX enterprise_analytics/myreport ME_DATE=&ME_DATE, AGENCY_NUMBER=&AGENCY_NUMBER, POLICY_NUMBER=&POLICY_NUMBER, NAME1=&NAME1

-RUN

-CLOSE &NAME1

-END_REPEAT

-NO_RPT

Inside the report code I have this:

COMPOUND LAYOUT HOLD AS &NAME1 FORMAT PDF

Followed by all the compound document stuffs with this in the TABLE command for both the report and the graph:

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF

I used your code to write something similar using ggsales.

baseapp/agency_reports.fex

-SET &ME_DATE = &DATEYYMD;-SET &NAME1 = 'Mutual';-SET &POLICY_NUMBER = 910;-SET &FILE_NAME ='filenm';-SET &NETWORK_LOCATION = 'C:ibiappsbaseapp'; TABLE FILE ggsales PRINT SEQ_NO AS 'AGENCY_NUMBER' WHERE RECORDLIMIT IS 5 ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON ON TABLE SAVE AS MYOUT FORMAT ALPHA END -IF &LINES LE 0 GOTO NO_RPT;-RUN-SET &LOOPS = &LINES;-TYPE &LOOPS -REPEAT END_REPEAT &LOOPS TIMES-READ MYOUT,NOCLOSE &AGENCY_NUMBER.A5-SET &NAME1 = &AGENCY_NUMBER || &FILE_NAME.EVAL;-SET &NAME3 = &NETWORK_LOCATION || &NAME1 || '.pdf'; FILEDEF &NAME1 DISK &NAME3 EX baseapp/agency_report.fex ME_DATE=&ME_DATE, AGENCY_NUMBER=&AGENCY_NUMBER, POLICY_NUMBER=&POLICY_NUMBER, NAME1=&NAME1 -RUN-CLOSE &NAME1-END_REPEAT -NO_RPT

baseapp/agency_report.fex

TABLE FILE ggsales "ME_DATE = &ME_DATE" "AGENCY_NUMBER = &AGENCY_NUMBER" "POLICY_NUMBER = &POLICY_NUMBER" "NAME1 = &NAME1" " " PRINT SEQ_NO UNITS DOLLARS WHERE SEQ_NO EQ &AGENCY_NUMBER ON TABLE HOLD AS &NAME1 FORMAT PDF END

I get five pdf files in the baseapp folder, although they are not compound reports. Does this work for you?

• 5 months later...
  • Solution

I finally got it working!

Here are the important pieces:

In the base fex, have this at the beginning in the REPEAT loop for the file you want to save the compound report to:

FILEDEF &NAME1 DISK &NAME3

In the report fex you EX in the loop:

COMPOUND LAYOUT HOLD AS &NAME1 FORMAT PDF

then the normal COMPOUND syntax, BUT exclude the ON TABLE HOLD line from the reports that are part of the COMPOUND document. I think this was the bit I had wrong before.