Anybody archiving their ReportCaster Logs?

Debra Waybright
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

• Solution

Hi Deb

There are 2 kinds of logs for Caster - one is the scheduler.log - that one really just watches the Caster software starting up and deciding to run a scheduled job etc. The other kind of log - the Job Logs is what I think you're looking for. This is the output of the reports as they're running - sort of like if you ran a report interactively from the >> command prompt. Number of records, lines etc...

There's a place in the Configuration of caster to set the Log Purge Period. Maybe this is useful?

image.thumb.png.411264bee31be0af053c5870678479cd.pngMaybe that checkbox at the top that says to wipe out logs when caster starts has been checked somehow...

Maybe you can get what you want from the BOTLOG2 table?

Those are just thoughts off the top of the brain.

Curiously, the check box is not selected for the purge but the 30 days is, and I think that is about when the server was rebooted. Maybe we should give ourselves a few more days...

The BOTLOG2 table does have the info I am looking for! I don't suppose you know how to convert the LOGGED_STAMP field into a readable datetime?

Hi Deb

Alas, I don't have specific examples.

I did find these:

[solved]Convert UNIX Timestamp to DATE - Topic (informationbuilders.com)

[sOLVED] Timestamp to date conversion - Topic (informationbuilders.com)

Basically the idea is that these dates are a number of seconds since a base date. I'm pretty sure some of our older members have done these reports before. I just can't find their code. Maybe they'll see this and chime in.

It looks like you might be able to do this right in the database - maybe make yourself a view of botlog2 to hit.

I tried to use a sql server function to retrieve the value, but I got an error:

Select top (100)

dateadd(S, LOGGED_STAMP, '1970-01-01')

From BOTLOG2

Argument data type nvarchar is invalid for argument 2 of dateadd function.

So SQL server doesn't like nvarchar for dateadd. Something similar must be possible.

If nobody already knows the answer to this, I'll dig around more.

Have a good weekend!