Hello Everyone! I was wondering if anyone has used the uploa...

Catherine Yeung

When you say youre trying to connect it to an existing data base, are you talking about JOIN or are you trying to append the uploaded data to an existing table

Whats the format of the external data (CSV, EXCEL, et cetera). Whats the format of the target data (SQL Server, Oracle, DB2) Whats the specific issue youre running into thats different from whats documented

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has used the upload external data feature in WebFOCUS (8206).

If you have have you tried to connect it to an existing data base

We are finding this process not to be as straightforward as the documentation makes it look. We have tried making hold files off of the external data files and that has helped but it is still not perfect.

Any tips or tricks

The external data files we have tried both excel and CSV. The database we are trying to join to is a SQL Server.

After uploading the external data file as a Binary file it gives us a DATREC file with the external data in it. We then try create a report using this DATREC file. Inside the report we try to create a join to one fact group in our data warehouse. When we make this join we are only getting back a dimension not the entire fact group.

One thing that helped us was creating a hold file off of the uploaded external data DATREC file. We used both a foccache hold file and a permanent hold file. The foccache hold file was the only one that when joined to the existing data warehouse fact group returned all the fields in the fact group. I have not found any documentation that says to make a hold file off of the external data file.

It sounds like youre joining a DATREC to a SQL Server table. That means WebFOCUS will have to scan all the SQL Server data and join the non-SQL data to it (a heterogeneous join). Im not sure what specific problem youre having but youre setting yourself up for a lot of potential pitfalls depending on your request. If at all possible, load the source data into SQL Server so WebFOCUS can push the entire JOIN and SQL to the RDBMS.

Catherine,

We had to set up an SQL database specifically for users to upload data into so that joins to existing SQL tables would work. We are on 8203 and that version seemed to break it for us. Previously we were able to just connect CSV or Excel files. With the upgrade to 82 WebFocus seemed to stop accepting joins between different sources.

Let me know if you want more info on how we set things. up.

Deb