We can schedule a Report caster job using fex/procedure. Is there any way that we can schedule rc by metadata? Because my dashboard is using same metadata,but different reports. Instead of scheduling RC job to each report i want to schedule to metadata.

Srilatha Amiti

Can you clarify what you mean by "schedule to metadata" ?

RC job always perform a fex/procedure, then what the fex will do has no importance. The fex can produce a report or just hold data that will be save anywhere. I have several RC that do not produce a report but are only used to perform data extraction that then be hold somewhere and becomes available for other processes.

I sounds like "schedule by metadata" would be a feature, when creating a schedule, instead of specifying a fex, you would specify a master file name. Then when the schedule runs, every fex that uses the master file name would be run.

It's an interesting idea. But it doesn't seem like that would be something that would ever be a feature.

Several point may have to be considered since I don't know your whole requirement.

But let assume that the data has to be refreshed once a day before 6AM and is not too large; meaning that Focus file can hold it without the need of holding it as a SQL table (which can also be done).

You can have the following

TABLE FILE CARSUM RETAIL_COST DEALER_COSTBY COUNTRYBY CARON TABLE HOLD AS myAppPath/CarCosting FORMAT XFOCUSEND-RUN

Above will hold a Focus file in "myAppPath" named "CarCosting".

Then this .mas can be used by any other fex to perform a report.

To avoid RC to send a warning because no report has been performed from the above code sample, add the following at the end. That way RC will think that a report has been generated.

-* ---------------------------------------------------* THIS STEP IS ONLY TO AVOID THE RC WARNING FROM NO REPORT TO DISTRIBUTE-* --------------------------------------------------TABLE FILE CARBY COUNTRY NOPRINTHEADING" END OF : HOLDING myAppPath/CarCosting"WHERE READLIMIT EQ 1;ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTMLON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEADON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ONEND-RUN

You put all the above sample in one fex which then be scheduled, let say at 5AM every day.

Then you may have to change all your dashboard fex to reference the HOLD file created above or your hold file must be named the same way as in your dashboard fex and the path where you hold it must be in your APPPATH to become available. The hold file's name must not already exist somewhere else otherwise, according to your APPPATH, it's possible that you read the wrong file.