Smallest hold files available?

Erin Trotter

No format is really better then another one regarding file size on disk.

When you HOLD on disk, at the end it's like you are holding a text file.

The difference about format it's their size & features limitation.

Per example HOLD FORMAT FOCUS or HOLD FORMAT XFOCUS can be INDEXed

XFOCUS can manage more data than FOCUS where FOCUS can hold up to 2M rows (if I remember well) and XFOCUS doesn't have that limitation.

If disk space is an issue for you, depending of what is available from your environment, you can HOLD as a SQL table

E.g. FORMAT SQLMSS <-- For MS-SQL DB

In this instance, I've had one file that consumed over 50 GB of space... I'm trying to figure out ways to break this file up into smaller pieces. I've been holding them as binary, but was not sure if that was the best way.

And yes, I am concerned about running out of space. It is already starting to happen. So, before I request more space, I just wanted to see what all of my options are for preserving as much as I can

No, we have not at this point. This reporting structure is a new one that we are just starting out in because we are switching from SQL server to Snowflake and trying to keep our querying costs low by not hitting snowflake every time one of the many users run a report. We figured if we run a report that loads all of the data once a day, it will help us save in that way but then we are running into this on the other side

"We figured if we run a report that loads all of the data once a day, it will help us save in that way"

But my question still remain : can you hold as SQL table instead of on disk ?

I am doing that a lot of time : holding once a day data into a unique SQL table to avoid querring the snowflake all the time at each request

If the version of the reporting server you have installed includes Hyperstage you might want to try this out on your data. 

The ggsales.foc file is about 820 KB. I created a Hyperstage database of this ggsales data. 

ENGINE INT SET TABLESAMPLING_PERCENTAGEENGINE INT SET FCA ONENGINE SQLHYPG SET BULKLOAD ONENGINE SQLHYPG SET BULKCHECK 1000 APP HOLD baseapp TABLE FILE ggsales PRINT * ON TABLE HOLD AS gg_hypg FORMAT SQLHYPG END

The APP HOLD directs the Hyperstage table's metadata to be stored in the application folder. Then you can 

TABLE FILE gg_hypg

to report off of this data. 

The data is stored under the ibiHyperstagePGib_datawebfocuspublicgg_hypg.bth folder. When I right click this folder and select Properties the Size on disk is 68 KB. That is about a twelve-fold reduction in size. This reduction would probably vary depending on the inherent reduntancy in your data.

Note, without the 

ENGINE SQLHYPG SET BULKLOAD ON

I found that the creation of the file was exteemly slow.