We can Open an Excel file from our share via a hyperlink. Is...

robert fuschetto

I still just wonder if your PC can see the X: drive, but the server cant.

Its odd that youre not seeing the output in your WebFOCUS No output tab. A very LONG time ago, IBI put in a new feature to allow you to suppress output to sysprint.scr. I cant recall what it was now. I think it was a SET command. That came up when we were trying to capture the output of SYSPRINT like we would have done on the mainframe. So we asked for a way to redirect that output to a file.

Try this for a command to see what you get on your PC versus what your WFRS can see:

net use (on your pc)

-DOS net use (in a focexec).

Maybe youll be able to see if the x: drive is mapped or not by comparing the output (assuming the result will show up for you).

Also dont forget that you can go straight to the WFRS console (default port 8121) and try these tests there.

Our support team gave up the path and felt it hould work. I am still suspciosu about securty.

Is there any chance the COPY command is wrong. We are on App STudio 8206In the GUI when I do a New the SETI do not even see copyf.

APP HOLD baseapp

END

TABLE FILE CAR

PRINT MODEL

BY COUNTRY

BY CAR

ON TABLE HOLD AS AAALVPG_CARS_TEST FORMAT PDF

ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON

END

-RUN

APP HOLD

END

-SET &COPYF = ourco.comxdriveLVPGReportsAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf;

-DOS COPY &APPROOTbaseappAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf &COPYF

-DOS DEL &APPROOTbaseappAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf

Check to see which ID is actually running the WebFOCUS Reporting Server service. Like Martin says by default it is the local service account but many sights assign a specific user ID like the one that was used to install WebFOCUS.

Also in your example &COPYF is a variable used to store the location you want to copy to. COPY is the correct operating system command to use which is at the beginning of your command.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All, here is where we are at. WE NEED HELP. Our IS team is stumped. They asked if this worked anywhere else IBI is also involved. I am stuck in the middle, I lack security to look at most things not am I a techie when it comes to the architecture and implementation of WF App Studio at our siteso bear with me.

We know this code will create the HOLD file in baseapp, it runs almost instantly :

APP HOLD baseapp

END

-*CREATE FILE IN BASEAPP

TABLE FILE CAR

PRINT MODEL

BY COUNTRY

BY CAR

END

-RUN

APP HOLD

END

We know this code creates and deletes the file, again it runs almost instantly:

APP HOLD baseapp

END

-*CREATE FILE IN BASEAPP

TABLE FILE CAR

PRINT MODEL

BY COUNTRY

BY CAR

END

-RUN

APP HOLD

END

-DOS DEL &APPROOTbaseappAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf

Our IS support says this is the correct way to reference the X drive:

-SET &COPYF = lvh.comxdriveLVPGReportsAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf;

Our IS support changed the Resource account (R account) to have access to the X drive share however they are not sure the Resource account is even used by WF.

When this code is run, it runs longerlike its doing something morebut all I see is: WebFocus error. Ort IS Support team can see the error though, see below:

APP HOLD baseapp

END

TABLE FILE CAR

PRINT MODEL

BY COUNTRY

BY CAR

END

-RUN

APP HOLD

END

-SET &COPYF = lvh.comxdriveLVPGReportsAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf;

-DOS COPY &APPROOTbaseappAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf &COPYF

-*-DOS DEL &APPROOTbaseappAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf

IBIs response to this was:

It looks like you have a network access problem, its not a file system permission issue.

Did you show these results to your Network Administrator

They maybe able to help you configure a permanent mapped drive to use instead of the UNC path.

Our IS support however does not know what this means or what to do at this point. They said they would suggest that a way to pass the R account information may need to be included as it appears it is trying to leverage the local server account.

None this means a thing to me!

Any ideas before I give up on this I suspect a communications breakdown between multiple partiestrying to get everyone together will be tough. I am hoping I can come up with something from you all that will get our IS or IBI pointed in the right direction. It seems so simple

robertf:

It looks like you have a network access problem, its not a file system permission issue.

Did you show these results to your Network Administrator

They maybe able to help you configure a permanent mapped drive to use instead of the UNC path.

Our IS support however does not know what this means or what to do at this point. They said they would suggest that a way to pass the R account information may need to be included as it appears it is trying to leverage the local server account .

None this means a thing to me!

The WebFOCUS service runs as a specific user ID. That user ID must be able to access files on the shared drive. You can check the user ID in the services panel on the server (assuming Windows) in a column named Log On As or something similar.

If that is a local account, there is no way for the machine on which the shared drive sits to verify whether that is a valid account or not, so it will refuse access.

If that is the issue, your WebFOCUS service needs to run as a user registered in the same central database that your own account is set up in. And that user must be given permission to access the share (with the permissions necessary to create these files).

robertf:

-SET &COPYF = [lvh.com](http://lvh.com/)xdriveLVPGReportsAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf;

If that really is what you put there (I suspect the forum software changed it), that wont work. The DOS COPY command does not know how to handle URLs, HTTP or otherwise.

A UNC path to a share starts with a pair of backslashes, not a single one. It looks like (I used triple backquotes to escape it for the forum software):

\servernamesharenameetcetera

In your case, that may be:

\lvh.comxdriveLVPGReportsAAALVPG_CARS_TEST.pdf

Finally, since your original path had spaces in the name, you should probably surround the path in double-quotes(") once you get the other problems solved.

Since your IS folks want you to pass the R_account credentials, you could use the following. Note the password would be accessible to anyone with access to your focexec. You may or may not need to include domain with username. This post may wrap the NET USE command, but it needs to be all on one line.

-DOS NET USE X: /DEL

-DOS NET USE X: servernamesharenamefoldername /USER:r_account_domainr_account_username password

-RUN

FILEDEF TEST_OUTPUT DISK X:yourfilename.pdf

TABLE FILE CAR

PRINT MODEL

BY CAR

ON TABLE HOLD AS TEST_OUTPUT FORMAT PDF

END

-RUN

-DOS NET USE Z: /DEL

• 4 weeks later...