My simple question is can you chain controls in WebFocus 8.2...

Ben Maxwell

Hi Benjamin

This is a post that was in Focal Point a while back by NYCBabak that answers this question.

Designer page as well as Autoprompt automatically chain parameters if they are in the same hierarchy. For instance, if your master file has a Dimension View Folder of Geography in which youve defined COUNTRY-> STATE->CITY as a hierarchy, then when you create a report with COUNTERY, STATE and CITY as parameters, Designer will chain them together. To my knowledge there isnt any other way to chain parameters in the designer.

And you dont necessarily need to have the hierarchy encoded in the master file.

As I posted in focal point Chained controls in Designer

You can accomplish the chaining in Designer entirely from what is encoded in the fex:

-DEFAULT &aregion = '_FOC_NULL';

-DEFAULT &ast = '_FOC_NULL';

-DEFAULT &acity = '_FOC_NULL';

TABLE FILE ibisamp/ggsales

SUM UNITS

BY REGION

BY ST

BY CITY

BY DATE

ACROSS PCD

WHERE ( REGION EQ &aregion.(FIND REGION IN GGSALES|FORMAT=A11).Region.QUOTEDSTRING )

AND ( ST EQ &ast.(FIND ST IN GGSALES|FORMAT=A02,WITHIN=aregion).State code.QUOTEDSTRING )

AND ( CITY EQ &acity.(FIND CITY IN GGSALES|FORMAT=A20,WITHIN=ast).City.QUOTEDSTRING );

ON TABLE SET STYLE *

INCLUDE=IBFS:/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/ibi_themes/Warm.sty, $

ENDSTYLE

END

My simple question is can you chain controls in WebFocus 8.206 when building a Page in the Designer tool

i.e. I would like to chain my filters for Company --> Division --> Cost Center. Right now when I bring in to the controls I am unable to view an option to chain my selections. If I would build a similar report in a HTML Page I would have no issues with chaining.

If this cant be done in 8.206 can it be done in 8.207