I am in need of an option to be able to take an excel file o...

Kristi Carter

I am in need of an option to be able to take an excel file on our network shared drive and have it upload onto Reporting Server. I know this can be done manually, but I would like to take it one step further and be able to automate this process and schedule this upload.

I am not seeing where this can be done anywhere in App Studio, data flows, etc Is this an option I am struggling to find any documention if it is.

Thanks,

Kristi Carter

Right, I know it is an option to schedule a flow. But when developing a flow, is it possible to have it do the step of uploading the excel file to the Reporting Server within the data flow itself From what I can tell, the data flow option needs to have the file manually loaded to the server first before it is an option to include in a data flow. Is this true, or am I missing something

Thanks,

Kristi Carter

Hi Kristi,

I guess this is dependent on your environments security setup, but if your excel file name is fairly static, you could use something like a procedure with APP Map to the network drive (w/master & access files present in that folder) and take your excel data and then load it into a FOCUS table using the modify(maintain) language (granted Ive taken the lazy route by just using the SQL translator and doing inserts into my XFOCUS table).

• 2 weeks later...
If you have data migrator that would make it so easy for you but heres one way, if this Excel file is always in a shared folder accessible by WF you can create a synonym and then write a procedure to do MODIFY type request and APPEND or INSERT as you need, then schedule it with ReportCaster.

How do you recommend creating a synonym with the excel file when it is still on the shared drive area We are currently trying to do an ODBC connection to one, but are unsuccessful so far as we get ODBC error right now.

If you have another suggestion on how we can do the same thing, that would be great.

Thanks,

Kristi Carter

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is closed, but I have something to add.

There is an adaptor called a delimited CSV/FTP adaptor. It reads CSV files via FTP. If you can FTP to your shared network drive from your reporting server, you can read the file that way via the adaptor. You just configure the adaptor to connect to the FTP site, then make a master file against that FTP site. When you use the master file, it goes and gets the data via FTP. The one big caveat is, it needs to be a .csv file, not a .xlsx file. We have used this approach to get data from any ftp site.