I am new to WebFOCUS and I am just trying to learn the ropes...

Peter Vazny

I am new to WebFOCUS and I am just trying to learn the ropes, but I keep running into limits of JOINs. Especially the lack for cross join. I can think of a couple reasons to not include right joins, or full outer joins, assuming the system relies on a record from left table to always be there. However the lack of cross join is just baffling. I am assuming that there are some historical reason for it, but I just cannot think of any.

I am aware of the hold file workarounds, but that seems extremely inefficient since it cannot be translated to SQL and handled by the data source engine.

Heres an example of doing a cross join of the car file with itself to get all combinations of five countries. It uses WebFOCUS conditional join without any where clause, result is 25 rows:

JOIN FILE CAR AT COUNTRY TAG A TO

ALL FILE CAR AT COUNTRY TAG B AS J1

END

TABLE FILE CAR

LIST A.COUNTRY

B.COUNTRY

END

Reference Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language manual for join options, Using a Conditional Join.

A way to put my foot in my mouth

To my defense, this does not work in InfoAssist. I can make the edit as described and InfoAssist will replace it with

JOIN COUNTRY IN CAR TO MULTIPLE COUNTRY IN CAR TAG J001 AS J001

END

I swear I read that conditional join documentation just this morning and somehow I did not get the cross join out of it.